Monday 7 May 2012

Open/Close Sign

To make the shop front look a bit more authentic, we thought it would be good to have a little open/close sign hanging from the door. It was a pretty easy prop to make, I just sculpted the basic shape out of milliput by flattening out a rectangular and adding detail around its edges with a thinly-rolled piece. Whilst the milliput was still wet, I poked the ends of a section of aluminium wire into the top corners of the sign to make the hanging part, and once the milliput dried the wire was fully set into the sign. I then coated the dried sign with a thin layer of poly-filler to ensure that the paint would stick:
Once the poly-filler had dried, I filed it into shape with a small nail file and then painted over the filler with a base coat of acrylic paint. For the finishing touches, I used a teeny tiny brush and painted the words open and close onto either side with white acrylic paint:

No comments:

Post a Comment