Friday, 24 February 2012

Yet again more props!

Here are some more props that I've been sculpting this week, woop! One of the props that was needed to make the pasty child's bedroom a bit more homely was a teddy bear (to make her look more innocent and remind the audience that she isn't being held 'prisoner'!) Also, the pasty child has a dream to go and explore and travel the world, so Sasha suggested to make an explorer bear complete with special had and binoculars! So I initially sculpted the bear out of milliput and scraped a needle across the surface to create a fur-like texture. Once the milliput was dry, I added colour with acrylic paints. Here are some piccies of the bear:

Another prop that was needed for the bedroom was a sink on the wall and some toiletries in a bathroom cabinet, because the pasty child actually lives in this room. So, using milliput again, I sculpted a sink with taps and piping and also sculpted a tube and tub of moisturiser for 'flaky' skin (a must for all pastry-skinned folk)Once these were dried I painted them with acrylics, and the sink was fixed to a bedroom wall and the toiletries were placed on a shelf inside the bathroom cabinet that George made:

There are still a few more props needed for the pasty child's bedroom which I will get cracking on this weekend, but I spend part of this week getting started on some of the props needed for the pasty shop which is the largest set. Firstly, I began constructing a main counter where the till and pasties would be displayed, and I also got started on making a window display that would also display pasties. To do this, I got the measurements from the 3D model of the pasty shop that George put together, and then cut measured pieces of foam board using a scalpel knife to make up the sections of the counter and display.

I then cut blocks of balsa wood to go inside the two shapes to make them nice and sturdy when glued together.I initially tried to construct the pieces together using wood glue, but after about half an hour my fingers seemed to be more glued together than the sections which was frustrating. However by adding little screws to each corner that went through the foam board and into the balsa wood inside, the counters were finally nice and sturdy.

Once the construction was complete, I added a layer of poly-filler to cover up the screw holes and smooth over the gaps.

Whilst the counter and the window display were drying, I quickly sculpted a baking tray, a rolling pin, a mixing bowl and also a chopping board for the pasty shop out of fimo clay. Once these were baked in the oven I then covered them in a thin layer of poly-filler and then painted them with acrylics. I tried just painting straight onto the fimo, however the pain easily scratched off which would be a nightmare during animating. Also, the bedroom sets of draws that I painted previously showed too much of the grain of wood underneath, so I tried to add a painted 'wood' effect that was to scale.

Andy had previously given all of the sets a first coat of white primer paint, to cover over the textured layers of poly-filler and neaten the walls up. However some walls still needed some more filler on because there were still sections of wood and small screws that needed to be covered up. So I covered them with another layer of filler, them painted another final coat of primer over the top. The sets are now ready to be painted pretty! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment