Saturday, 5 March 2011

3rd year role update

Eeeek I haven't written anything about my third year role for yonks, I better catch up sharpish! As I mentioned before, I was given the role of set dresser on the stop-motion 3rd year film called 'The Musician,' but before I could get started on my role, the sets had to be constructed, covered in a thin layer of poly-filler to disguise the grains of the wood, and then finally have a coat of white primer paint to give them all a smooth finish. We were a bit behind on the construction scedule/ deadline (we had a few problems getting the wood cut, a piece went missing, etc) So for the past few weeks I have been helping out with these jobs, and the sets are now all put together and ready to be painted and dressed :)

This past week I have been painting and dressing one of the shop-front sets, following a design that Sarah gave me as an example of how she wanted it to look. I work quite a bit during the week, so I thought it would be a good idea to take the set home with me so that I could work on it at night (although getting on the bus with it was a bit tricky!) Firstly, I cut panels of cardboard and stuck them to the wood surface, to give the set a more 3D look and make it look more realistic. I then sketched out the design onto the wood, then got cracking on the painting! It admittedly took me quite a while to complete because the design was pretty complicted, and I also had to add quite a bit of extra detail afterwards using balck fineliner, to neaten up the edges. I really enjoyed working on the set, and it was a good excuse to get my paints out again! :D I have got some really positive feedback from Sarah, and she has also asked me to dress another set which consists of a city scene with a sloping road... I better get cracking! Here are some photos of my progression :)

No comments:

Post a Comment